Having outdoor rope lights can add a touch of sophistication and fun to your yard or patio. They are pretty, but they can also be useful for providing light when you need them.
So if you’re looking for a quick, easy, and affordable way to add some extra festive cheer, consider hanging rope lights outdoors.
We’ll show you how to do it quickly and easily in this post. Rope lights can be a beautiful addition to any home, and they can also be used outdoors.
In this post, we will show you how to hang rope lights outdoors so that you can enjoy their beauty all year round. We will also provide tips on choosing the right rope lights for your needs. Let’s get started!
What Tools and Materials You’ll Need:
2. Electric drill
3. Drill bit that is the same size or larger than your screws
4. 2 pairs of pliers
5. Rope lights.
Step by Step Guide: How to Hang Rope Lights Outdoor
Step 1: Decide Your Location
Decide where you want to hang the rope lighting, and if possible, use a stud finder (a metal detector will also work) to locate studs or nails that may hold your hanging ropes.
If you cannot locate any studs/nails with the device, drill 1/8″ pilot holes into each block at least 1 foot apart.
Step 2: Measure the Distance Between the Holes
Use a measuring device to measure between each pilot hole. Mark at least four points on your rope light with masking tape.
Connect the dots along the rope light to form an elongated diamond shape, creating segments of equal lengths. This will ensure that your lights are spaced equally apart.
Step 3: Drill Pilot Holes Through Rope Light
Make sure to drill straight through the rope light. If you have difficulty, try stacking two pieces of wood under it, then attaching a clamp to hold the rope light in place while working. Next, drill into each marked point.
Step 4: Prepare to Hang
Measure the distance between the wall and where you want your rope light to begin. Cut the first strand of the rope light with enough slack for this measurement (this will be your starting point). Be sure to leave several inches of extra cord on each end.
Step 5: Feed the Rope Light Through the Anchors
Feed the rope light through your anchors. Keep tension on the rope light as you work it through, but do not pull too tight. If you have difficulty, use a screwdriver to ease the rope light through your anchors.
Step 6: Tie Knots at Ends of Rope Light
Cut a piece of string or twine to be several inches longer than the rope light. Tie a knot approximately 1-2″ from one end of the cord, creating a loop.
Feed this loop through your last anchor, and pull it tight so that the strand is firmly against the wall.
Wrap the excess cord around the base of the rope light as many times as necessary to keep it from loosening.
Snip off the excess cord and repeat this process with the remaining pieces of rope light, creating a few more knots on each strand.
Step 7: Attach Your Rope Lights
Attach one end of the rope light to where it begins with duct tape. Wind the tape clockwise around the cord, starting at the bottom and winding up towards the top.
You can also use zip ties or twist ties. Be sure to leave enough slack so that the lights do not bunch up when you plug them in and unplug them.
Step 8: Hang Your Lights
Hang your rope light on nails, hooks, or other hardware. The last step is to plug the lights into a power outlet. Keep your rope lights dry and avoid submerging them in water. To keep them protected, use a waterproof box or case.
Hanging rope lights outside does not have to be difficult. But, deciding where to hang them can be very tricky. Once you make your decision, the process is easy and quick!
As long as you use common sense while handling power tools (and stay away from wet grass), hanging outdoor rope lighting shouldn’t take more than an hour.
Tips to Decorate Your Outdoor with Rope Lights:
1. You can use rope lights as a decoration for your outdoor and indoors. Ropes lights are the most used lighting accessories today. They sit right next to candles and flowers as one of the best methods to decorate spaces.
2. Decoration with rope lights can be made anywhere; you will need some essential tools and items before or after installation.
3. Use a stepladder, gauge, grip pliers, and twine as the important tools for installation.
4. The items include cable ties, hooks, and screws. Hang the twine around the place you will decorate using the rope lights.
5. You need to use a stepladder as a base for hanging ropes lights. After doing this step, you will have to turn on the wires of your light so that it will reach cable ties.
6. Twist cable ties around the twine and then attach the ropes lights. Keep your rope light wires at least six inches away from each other to be attached properly to cable ties.
7. Take a close look at the exterior house walls to find out how you will use screws or hooks.
Five Best Places to Hang Your Rope Lights
1. In the Backyard: Keep them in the backyard to decorate your patio or garden for a party. Rope lights create the perfect atmosphere for an intimate, relaxed evening with family and friends.
2. In Your Living Room: You can tie these lights along the back of your sofa and your coffee table, across the mantle or on top of it, hanging from the light fixtures in your room, or just about anywhere.
3. In Your Bedroom: Light can be really useful to set the mood during intimate moments (or even not so intimate ones). Some people like to go all out and change the colors of their lights according to their mood.
4. Around Your Tree: Tie them around your tree; you may need an extension cord for this one, though. They’ll make your home look cheerful and festive.
5. Outside Your Front Door: Make your front door look inviting by hanging these lights on the porch or across the eaves outside the front door.
What are The Advantages of Using Rope Lights Outdoor?
One advantage of using rope lights outdoors is that you can save money. Rope lights are very inexpensive compared to the usual outdoor lighting options like solar lights, landscape lighting, etc.
This is because rope lights are usually designed to be more lightweight and durable, so you can get cheaper ones.
However, if you get heavy-duty ones with an aluminium alloy or stainless steel casing and thick plastic insulation to protect the wiring, they can be more expensive.
Rope lights also give your outdoor area a soft glow that is more pleasing than harsh and glaring lighting options. If you want to make your backyard or garden more romantic at night, rope lights can provide beautiful illumination.
How Do You Hang Straight Rope Lights?
Measure two-thirds of the way down your rope light. Make a tick mark on the tape measure at this spot, then measure up 26 inches from that mark and make another mark with your pencil. Don’t attach the rope light yet!
This is where you are going to drill your first hole. To do this, measure in 2 inches from each of the marks you just made and made two more holes with your drill.
Next, attach the rope light to the ceiling by driving screws through these new holes, one on either side of the rope light.
Now it’s time to measure up from the bottom of the rope light. Make a mark 12 inches above one end of the rope light and another 26 inches above that.
Drill another two holes at this higher point, again spacing them 2 inches apart on either side of your rope light. Use your screwdriver to attach it to your ceiling joist.
Hanging rope lights are a great way to add an extra flair to your outdoor space. Whether you’re looking to create a festive atmosphere for a party or want some added light in your backyard, the tips mentioned in this article will help you get the job done right.
When hanging rope lights outdoors, it’s important to use weatherproof fixtures and seal any exposed wiring.
Make sure that the power source is protected from the elements as well. If you’re using an extension cord, be sure to buy one rated for outdoor use.
After reading this article, we hope you now know how to hang rope lights outdoor. If you have any questions or want to know more, then feel free to comment below!