Do you know how to make a black light bulb? A blacklight is a type of bulb which emits ultraviolet light. This type of light allows you to see fluorescent materials such as paint, ink, and certain types of plastics.
Black lights are often used for entertainment, such as enhancing the mood at parties or clubs or when performing on stage.
You can use one at home too! In this blog post, we will explore how to make your black light bulbs using different techniques.
5 Easy Ways To Make a Black Light Bulb:
1) Using an Old Incandescent Bulb and Spray Paint
If you want a quick and affordable method of making your blacklight, then this is the one for you. Remove the filament from an old incandescent light bulb (these are very cheap to buy secondhand).
Spray it with white paint or another color that works best under ultraviolet lighting conditions. You can spray two layers for extra effectiveness and durability.
2) Using a UV Fluorescent Tube
UV fluorescent lights are the most popular and efficient blacklight lighting sources in the world. They produce little heat, last for many years, and each bulb contains a ballast that controls power to the tube.
Depending on the type of tube you have, or you may need to remove the ballast and install it in a household lamp for use.
3) Using Electronic Components
If you want to make a more high-tech black light, then this method is for you! First, obtain electronic components such as an LED (Light Emitting Diode), resistors, or incandescent bulbs.
Then you can put all the parts together to make a black light bulb that will emit properly!
4) Using Fluorescent Paint
Fluorescent paint comes in many colors, including white, blue, green, orange, and purple. It has been popular for decades as it is easy to see under ultraviolet lighting conditions.
You can also paint a lamp or other object with fluorescent paint and emit black light. Fluorescent paint is sold in hobby shops, hardware stores, or any art supply stores.
5) Using a CFL
You can make your blacklight by using a CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamp) and white paint.
First, you will need to remove the glass cover from the bulb, strip off any plastic covering and paint it entirely with a layer of white paint or fluorescent white spray paint.
This process will help filter out visible light to make the CFL produce a better quality black light.
Supplies and Materials You’ll Need to Make a Black Light Bulb
Here’s everything you’ll need to make a black light bulb. It’s super easy to create one. Just gather the supplies and follow the mentioned steps.
1. A light bulb (obviously)
2. Some clear glass or plastic
3. A UV or fluorescent paint
4. Glass Cleaner
5. Soft rag
Step by Step Guide: How to Make a Black Light Bulb
Step 1: Clean Your Bulb
First, take a soft rag and clean the bulb you will make into a black light. Make sure it is prepped to get painted on because if something goes wrong later, it will be much more challenging to start cleaning again!
Step 2: Stabilize the Bulb
Using your glass cleaner, clean the outer part of the light bulb. While you are at it, make sure to get all the dirt off because that can ruin an active blacklight later on if you ignore it.
Also, using your paintbrush, brush some of the paint onto the blacklight as well. If not enough gets on there, it won’t look as effective later on.
Step 3: Paint the Light Bulb
Now you will paint the light bulb. It can be very tedious and annoying because you have to wait a few minutes between coats.
You also can’t shake off the excess from the brush because that would clog up your UV or fluorescent paint a lot. So it would be best if you thinned the paint with about a quarter cup of water.
Step 4: Wait for it to Dry
You need to wait at least 2 hours and up to 24 if you want everything to work correctly in the next step. During this time, make sure that your light bulb is not in direct sunlight or too dark.
Also, you need to make sure that the paint can sit and dry properly, so don’t be in a rush unless you want to have disappointment later on with your black light bulb!
Step 5: Test Your New Black Light Bulb
After you are done waiting, test out your new black light bulb. Ensure that it works and the paint that you applied correctly to give off a nice UV color.
If not, try again because this could be a big waste if you wait even longer for something barely visible in UV or fluorescent colors!
Step 6: Enjoy Your Black Light
Enjoy your new black light! You can see how cool it is in the dark and how you can use it for a lovely decoration piece or to have some fun with it.
If you want, go ahead and try out your UV or fluorescent paints on other things as well! Those are pretty neat, too, so make sure to look into that.
Precautions & Warnings To Take
1. When handling UV or Fluorescent paint, be careful and wear gloves if necessary. This stuff can cause an allergic reaction!
2. Make sure you don’t use a light bulb that is too hot because it might break during the painting process, and this will ruin your black light bulb, so make sure to test for heat beforehand!
3. Don’t shake out the excess paint from your brush! That will clog up the UV or fluorescent colors and make them useless. Instead, let it drip off and then paint on the light bulb with it as thin as possible without dripping.
4. If you plan to use a black light in a place with heaters or fire hazards, Do not plug the black light in right next to it. Your UV or fluorescent paint could ignite and cause a fire, so you might keep yours cool!
5. Always disconnect the power source when putting your black light bulb into a light fixture or taking it out. It is a safety precaution, but it will also ensure that you don’t shock yourself by accident.
Some Other Techniques To Make a Black Light Bulb
1. Tape off the outside of the bulb. Make it as clean and perfect as you can get it because any dirt or dust on there will show through when you paint over the entire thing with blacklight paint.
2. Coat the inside of the bulb in some glow-in-the-dark paint that you can buy at a craft store or online store. Coating the bulb is a good, quick way to make a nice-looking black light bulb.
3. Cover the inside of the bulb with a thin layer of UV or fluorescent paint.
That is how it will look best, but it takes longer and can be annoying on a larger scale rather than just for one light bulb. It’s up to you which method you like better!
4. Use a UV or fluorescent colored marker to draw pictures and words all over a light bulb.
Then seal the top of the word with another layer of clear coat so that only the bottom shows up when you turn it upside down in ultraviolet light.
5. You can use cellophane to make a “lantern” to place over the light bulb, thus blocking out regular visible light but still allowing through UV rays that will illuminate the cellophane.
You can do it for any lantern, not just ones made from cellophane-like those used at Halloween.
6. You can take a blacklight flashlight and tape off the top so that only light comes out of the bottom and use this to illuminate a blacklight poster near it. A much cheaper alternative to getting an actual blacklight effect!
How To Make a Blacklight Bulb with Flash Light?
Blacklight light bulbs come in many sizes and shapes, but they all work the same way.
Making a blacklight bulb with a flashlight is a great way to recycle those old flashlights or other LED lights you have lying around so that they can serve as blacklights for you.
1) First, you will want to take apart your flashlight or LED light. It would be best if you had a plastic casing and a few inside pieces, including the batteries and the bulb holding mechanism.
2) Next, take some cellophane or other clear sheeting and cut it to the size of a flashlight so that you can shine your LED light through it.
Thus, it makes it into a lantern for a blacklight bulb or any other decorations you want to use.
3) Then, take scissors and snip four holes along the sides of the flashlight-one each on the two shorter sides and one on both long sides.
4) Next, take the clear sheeting and use it to cover up your flashlight. Make sure you leave the cut holes uncovered so that they will let light through.
5) Then, take some other materials to tie up the cellophane sheets with your flashlight. You can use rubber bands, string, or even electrical tape.
You can use the same technique for covering your flashlight so that the colors show through and are highlighted by the clear sheeting.
6) By this point, you have finished making your blacklight flashlight, and all that is left is trying it out!
If you get any paint or other materials that glow under the blacklight onto your cellophane sheeting, you will have to replace it with another piece or replace the flashlight.
Can You Put a Black Light Bulb in a Regular Lamp?
Specifically, you can put a black light bulb in a regular lamp, but you may have some trouble finding the correct type of bulb for the specific lamp if it has been out of production for more than 10-15 years.
Because most people don’t generally use black light bulbs, and they have all but been replaced by newer technology.
However, the black light bulbs still being made today do not produce nearly as much UV light as they did back in the ’60s and 70s. This is because they don’t have the same kind of power or longevity anymore.
The good news is that there are manual and automatic dimmers for black lights that can help you adjust the number of UV rays being given off and make it easier to use for certain types of activities.
When you’ve made your black light bulb, be sure to give it a test run. Testing is the best way to see any issues with how your black light bulb looks or functions before using them in an actual room full of people.
If you have any questions about this blog post on how to make a black light bulb, don’t hesitate to reach out and contact us!
We’re happy to help you answer all of your questions so that you can start crafting some fantastic DIY projects like making these excellent Black lights bulb.